Wednesday 7 November 2012

writing for 15 minutes

Yesterday at the Strickland Distribution co-research meeting at the Transmission Gallery in Glasgow, I was given advice at the end by one of the members of Strickland Distribution to try writing for 15 minutes at the beginning of writing my dissertation as way to warm up and get any extrapolating thoughts off my chest with the hope that I can begin fresh with my dissertation. So I am going to give it a go today and if I feel that it works well, will then use this method of beginning to write every time.
I find the co-research meetings with the Strickland Distribution very challenging, intellectually. Although they are very accomodating and do not mind at all me asking questions. I definitely do not have the same back ground knowledge as they do on the subject- on Marxist theory and Spanoli- as it was yesterday.
However, the idea of co-research, or indeed research as an art form is something which I am thinking of picking up on in the last chapter of my dissertation. Rather, than to continue dissecting the notion of activism and whether or not the educational projects that I am looking at are forms of activism, look at the idea of research and particular of the militant research that we looked at yesterday and the idea of immanence; of coming together over a shared set of conditions. In this case, that condition being education. Within this research format, there is no object but a sense of open ended-ness. It appears that precedence is placed on the notion of collectivity (indeed that is something that has arisen out of socially engaged art) and that through this collectivity then research and experimentation can occur. As though there is an inherent immanence in us all that will combine us.
Indeed, one can look at the educational turn with such ideologies. And both curators and artists appear to speak of this open-ended form of research with no pre-determined outcome. I think that even once this point of research as been made in my dissertation, one could reconsider it under the lens of activism or indeed a form of activism. Perhaps a forms pre-ordinate to the revolution, an embryonic phase.
This may also have connections to what Angela Dimitrikaki was saying in relation to the multitude. That its form and object is unknown, rather it is merely a collective body that threatens the dominant system.
The educational turn, rather than be outwardly oppositional and activist, it is rather a support network functioning from within.
I think there will be an interesting way in which this will come about in my dissertation. I am trying to configure it in my head at the moment. Indeed, the Strickland Distribution is very self-reflexive in these sessions. It is through this self-reflexivity, framing the sessions that the object object emerges. It suggests that this notion of the momentary turn raised by Irit Rogoff is in fact collective/individual self-reflexivity. The way the reading groups work, different interpretations and collective discussion is this turn- no pre-determined outcome, nor no pre-determined answer. This I think again, refers to the 'compositioning' that is mentioned in the reading. The 'educational' is an immanent condition in us all that allows us to come together and turn. Of what I have experienced, this comes in the form of:
a) through repeated action, meditation, relaxation and opening up/reflexivity- unawkward situtions- Yang Hague
b)   self-reflexive dialogical practice

No comments:

Post a Comment