Thursday 1 November 2012

designing the library

After my tutorial today, Zoe suggested I think more strongly about the design of my library. Part of my worry is that the library won't be filled and so I will be building a structure has vacant spaces. However, in the Musahino Art University Library in Tokyo, many of their shelves are empty. When I look at the photographs of this, I do not feel a sense of absence or failure, but rather optimism, that the shelves will continue to be filled and the library will evolve and grow naturally over time. I think that this is helped by the functionality of all the spaces. The use of the top of empty shelves as benches or work tops. This gives them a sense of purpose regardless of whether they are holding books or not. Here is the Musahino Art University Library together with other found imagery of types of library set ups.
mobile library in Africa as an out-reach project


A mess, what I don't want but is closest to what the library currently is


arrangement of seating around table


Books

Another mobile library. Interesting parasol to protect the books. Interesting how the sides open up to create a shop front rather than the visitor stepping inside the van.

Bright colours- eye catching or too babyish?

No comments:

Post a Comment