Thursday 25 November 2010


The other Sunday, after a lazy day of not leaving my room, I decided to go for a walk, to clear my head and stretch my legs. It was dusk and while walking it struck me that although I was aware of the changing light, it was impossible to pinpoint the individual moments/miliseconds of darkness creeping in. 
Above are sketches for an installation piece which looks at gradual changing light. There will be a room lit only by a candle which will pass through a painted glass tube as it slowly burns down to nothing. 
The candle will be small but its shadows cast will fill the room; cover every surface.
These shadows will be constantly changing because the location of the light source will be too. 
Like me walking through the English Gardens at dusk, the viewer will be unable to register each alteration of light but may be aware that it is happening.

1 comment:

  1. Read Thomas Mann's Death in Venice - the beginning scene has the main character Aschenbach walking through the English Gardens just like you - a bit of a life-changing walk! x

    ReplyDelete