Monday 13 June 2011

Monday 13th June: £2 lunch


Asian food is great. I was very excited by this lunch, my first one since arriving in Singapore. I went into what looked like a food hall, 'Kopitian', the kind you get in shopping malls. This one however, was situated opposite the National Museum of Singapore and a university, on a busy junction. It was a place that drew in all walks of life: men, women, children, students, suits, tourists... 
Lining the walls were different food counters serving different cuisines and filling the vast space in front were tables, chock-a-block with diners nattering away, chopsticks in hand. Although the Mexican and Japanese kitchens were tempting I couldn't help getting my hands dirty at the Mei Hong Yong Tau Foo; a dish where you choose your ingredients 'buffet style' before handing them over to the cashier who steams them for you and adds a broth. I chose various forms of tofu with shitake mushrooms and pak choi. To drink, I took an aloe vera juice with peach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment