Sunday 23 June 2013

Translated notices - Papaioannoy

I have been translating notices that I have found around the city. Ones, which have tabs and I can assume are offering skills. Once these notices have been translated, I am recreating the notice with the same format on Photoshop/Word/Indesign.

The translations I make are done on google translate so they are a little rough in places. Therein lies a new reading of the notices - one of ambiguity. Between the original creator, myself and the receiver of these translated notices are gaps and barriers of communication. The original creator creates a notices that he hopes people will be attracted and respond to. I  translate crudely and am still left unsure of the true skills being offered. The viewer can only guess and piece the words together. Within the context of Greece's socio-economic climate are these skills for salvation? Or, will the public always be left guessing and reading between the lines of what appears on the surface?

These crudely translated notices appear to me as a reflection of a miscommunication that is occuring widely. In places, it appears as complete nonsense.



No comments:

Post a Comment