Thursday 31 January 2013

heading


I wish to gather and share skills.

In a world slowly being lost to technology, where everything can be accessed and processed with the push of a button, where do our inherent skills lie? - Those skills that have been passed on from generation to generation, those which our ancestors relied on to get by, to pass time, to have fun.

In this economic climate we work like dogs. We scavenge for work to make ends meet in a merciless competition to the top, in a world saturated by material and economic consumption. When does our professional life stop and personal begin? What belongs to you? What belongs to Him? What is yours? What is theirs?

Maybe we can’t avoid this condition but we can take charge in exploring its potentialities.

I am creating a skill-exchange library that will exist as a physical and virtual archive, as sounds, as videos, as installations, as a series of collective and participatory experiences, as an ongoing line of research and as an art project.

I scoured notice boards around the city for skills being advertised. I took these advertisements. With each taken, I exchanged it for an advertisement of my own – for the Skill Exchange Library – that requests those with skills to get in touch and share them.

I uncovered skills that had been lost under other notices and here, have given them a new life. I hope to display the immensity of skills this population has and the availability people are willing to share with others.

Let the exchange continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment